The course participation phase is now complete, and our attention turns to attracting golfers for this special week.
There’s a lot going on between Monday, May 1, and Friday, May 5, and we appreciate all participating courses are doing to make it a very special week. The standard “promotion in a box” should arrive at participating courses around April 15, but for the courses looking to make their events extra special, we recommend they take a look at the exciting and creative packages offered at very special prices from Perfect Golf Event. Click on this link to learn more.
Throughout the week we’ll be supporting the GCSAA’s and Environmental Institute for Golf’s Rounds for Research initiative, featuring a rounds auction supporting turf grass research. Tell golfers they can find some special courses and deals; we certainly will.
On Monday, May 1, GolfNow co-sponsors with Billy Casper Golf the World’s Largest Golf Outing, the largest single day, multi-course golf outing, featuring charitable contributions supporting the Fisher House Foundation and Arnie’s Army.
On Tuesday, May 2, the theme is welcoming new golfers with Bring a Beginner. We suggest courses promote to experienced and new golfers alike, encouraging regular customers to bring out to the course someone new to the game.
Here are some ideas for making “Bring a Beginner” special:
- How about the ultimate BOGO (buy 1, get 1 free) offer? Beginners play free when accompanied by an experienced golfer?
- Offer special discounts on rental clubs.
- Special pricing on golf shop merchandise.
- Buy one, get one hot dogs in your snack bar.
- Print a simplified rules sheet for new players. Consider Golf Channel’s “Relaxed Rules of Golf.”
- Set up closest-to-the-pin prize on the course’s shortest par 3. Offer two prizes: one for lower and one for higher handicappers.
- Provide a warm welcome to new customers. Escort them from the parking lot or bag drop to the range and make them feel right at home.
On May 3, it’s Women’s Wednesday. This is our most popular scheduled event, with more than 800 courses participating. Virtually every industry group says the women’s market is underserved and brimming with potential. Promote nine-hole rounds, new player clinics, advanced skills education and fun, fun, fun.
Here are some ideas for “Women’s Wednesday”:
- Invite local women’s groups such as the Junior League, area school PTAs, and others.
- Offer child care options.
- Do a ball fitting to demonstrate which balls work best for which golfers.
- Consider a special 9-hole rate and begin or end the golf with lunch or a wine and cheese reception.
- Offer a special clinic for getting out of bunkers, reading putts or even scorekeeping and popular wagers.
- Encourage your regulars to invite a friend new to the game.
So many courses sponsor a number of demo days, but Test Drive Thursday, May 4, is an opportunity to attract accomplished and new golfers to try out new equipment. We hope to help make it the biggest demo day yet.
Here are some ideas for “Test Drive Thursday”:
- Offer a discount on purchases for anyone who plays a round today.
- For those who make a purchase from a demo, offer a discount on their next round.
- Set up a “World Long Drive” contest course on the range and offer competition and prizes.
Finally, continuing the trend for inviting new golfers to the game and the course, there’s Family Golf for Friday, May 5. Encourage regular players to bring out the entire family for some quality good times. Include an afternoon clinic, consider a special 9-hole rate, a putting contest and other fun activities.
Here are some ideas for “Family Golf Friday”:
- Introduce Drive, Chip and Putt to all juniors.
- Prepare kid-friendly snacks such as chicken fingers, mini-pizzas and ice cream.
- Set up putting competitions for parents and their children.
- Make an evening of it. After golf, consider dinner and a family-friendly movie.
As the week gets closer we’ll share content from Golf Channel and other media supporting #LetsPlayGolf. For now, let’s work to make events at all participating courses the best they can be.